Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm the Enumerator

Census training starts on Monday. 4-9pm Monday-Friday and then all day on Saturday. It's quite extensive! I was hired as an "Enumerator", but let me explain a little about how I got here.

The local census office was conducting testing sessions at the school I work at, and when I heard about these sessions, I thought it might be a neat experience. Why not get involved with something that is so important for the country? Maybe I'll learn a thing or two about my community. The bonus is that is pays pretty well! I've got some big travel plans for the summer, and I could sure use the cash for the trip and gear. They require you to work at least 20 hours per week, so I will be forced to log lots of time. Many people have been intrigued about this particular escapade of mine, so I decided to blog about it!

To apply for the census job, you first have to take a 30 minute test which determines whether or not you can alphabetize, read a map, do simple math, etc. It was pretty easy- if you have half a brain. There was a brief introduction that spoke in very general terms about the available positions, but we didn't really receive many details. After the testing session, I didn't hear anything from the office for about month. I was first offered a crew leader position... management... sweet! Unfortunately, that position required me to attend a four day training during the week. I couldn't attend because I didn't want to take the time off from work- even though I could have. They put my application back in the pool, and I didn't hear from them again for a couple of weeks.

When they called again, they offered me the enumerator position for $22.75/hour (and I think that was the exact same hourly rate as the crew leader if I'm remembering right). Again, they asked if I could attend a four day training, and I said no. My heart sank a second time, but then she said there was an alternate training in the evenings from 4-9pm Monday-Friday and all day on Saturday. Sign me up!! I'll have to leave work early all week, but it'll be okay.

I'm looking forward to the training- I hope they make it bearable. Maybe I'll make some new friends. I'm sure I'll find out all sorts of information about what my job actually is and how to do it. We'll be fingerprinted on Monday. I guess that means I can't commit any crimes from here on out. Also, I'll officially be a federal employee! That's wicked hot.

So here we go. I'll update this blog as I go through training and start the actual work. Thanks for reading!

No comments: