Friday, April 30, 2010

Almost there!

So we're almost there! There's very little left in terms of training modules for the NRFU training. I feel very confident with the whole process, and I'm ready to get out there! Tomorrow, we've got another module or two with the trainers and an open book test to take. The test is a big joke on many levels. Firstly, the test is in the back of our training workbooks, and we were directed to look at it ahead of time. Secondly, the questions are not hard at all. Thirdly, it can't possibly mean jack because we all basically have had an untimed, open book test of easy questions. Whatever.

Around 2pm tomorrow, we actually start knocking on doors! We met our crew leaders tonight. Our guy is Ron, and he lives right around the corner. I think we really lucked out with him. He seems to be capable, yet cool. He's exactly the kind of manager I would be. He's going to hold our daily meetings in the park up at the end of Weld Hill- that's pretty cool! I plan to cut through the cemetery to get there. :)

One of the coolest things about training is that on the first night, I chose a spot at a table, and out of 60 or so people, 2 guys came to sit right near me. We chatted a bit on Monday, and it turned out that we all live practically next to each other. I jokingly commented on Monday that all of the cool Forest Hills people just gravitate to each other. It must be true! Both of them have grown to be friends over the course of the week. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I was hoping to make a friend or two! Also, these two new friends and I ended up in the same district group so we have the same crew leader, and we'll see each other regularly.

Eventually, each enumerator is assigned their own binder which contains their NRFU assignments. Ron only had two binders when we met him today, so tomorrow we're going out in teams of two for our first "live" work. I was assigned one of the binders, and my new buddy James and I will go enumerate with that binder together. It contains many assignments in my immediate area: Tower Street, Woodlawn, Hyde Park Ave, etc. Our district area goes all the way east to Blue Hill Ave and all the way north to Seaver Street- it's a relatively huge area because it also contains the Forest Hills Cemetery and Franklin Park. I'm not really looking forward to enumerating in some of the neighborhoods in our district, but I probably won't have to much around Blue Hill Ave- there are other people on our team that live there.

I'm happy that the training is almost over- it was definitely a long week. I'm glad that I've made some friends, and I'm ready to get out in the field. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: