Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Krypton Katy and Liquid Lauren Go To Marblehead

It twas a hot, stick, dirty day at Mad Science. After a long day of packing and moving boxes (and several spider bites), we were feeling pretty darn yucky.

"I want to go to the beach after work and go swimming." Liquid Lauren said.

"Wow!! That's an AWESOME idea!" Krypton Katy replied.

"You want to come?" asked Liquid Lauren. Krypton Katy paused and thought. Anything going on after work? Anything I have to do?

"Hell yeah! I'm in!" exclaimed Krypton Katy.

We had some logistical things to figure out, but by the time 4:30pm came along, we had everything set. Lauren already had her bathing suit in the car, but mine was at my house. She followed from Belmont down to Jamaica Plain where I quickly got changed into my bathing suit. By the time we hit the road for Marblehead, it was close to 5:30pm. We realized quickly, that the air temperature had majorly cooled down since we originally decided to go to the beach, but we came up with a great solution. We "hotboxed" the car. No no no, you degenerate! Not that kind of hotboxing. We kept the windows up, the air off, and we turned the Volvo into a sauna. We were sweating in there before too long!

The traffic on I-93 was the pits. Red brake lights as far as we could see.

"These poor people," Liquid Lauren said. "They're not driving off to do something cool like us. They're probably doing something boring... like going home from work." Eventually, we cleared the highway traffic only to get stuck in the quagmire that is the town of Salem.



Then we saw something amazing. Right there in Salem was... and I kid you not... "Bunghole Liquors". Bunghole Liquors????? Think about it... Bunghole, of course, is obvious enough. But the "liquor" part? Get the pun? Yeah, it took Lauren a moment, too. It made me think of Stephanie Miller's references to "Beaver Liquors" in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. They must make a killing on t-shirt sales.

Anyway... we FINALLY made it to the beach in Marblehead (after 1 1/2 hours in the car). It was overcast, foggy, and 60 degrees, but we were NOT going to concede defeat! No way! We're fucking Liquid Lauren and Krypton Katy, damn it?!

We quickly stripped off our clothing, ran as fast as we could into the ocean, dunked our heads under the salty sea water, and got right the fuck out.

What a moment?! What a glorious moment?! Life doesn't get much better or more satisfying than that.

With wide smiles on our faces, we returned to Jamaica Plain. We kept chattering back and forth about how we could improve our after work beach trips in the future.

"I'm going to keep my bathing suit and a towel in my car all the time now." I said. "I'll drive next time."

No comments: